Day 06- 28th May, 2007: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan



I opened the flat and went inside. I was broken and exhausted. I was haggard and woebegone and my mind was shuffling between different thought processes. I just lied down on the bed and fallen asleep for some time. Finally at 8.30 a.m., I got up and thought of going through the small bag and my passport was there inside pocket deep down instead of front small where I had kept. It was a huge relief to me. I got ready and at 9.00 a.m and went down. 
Baystan was to come there. He came in time and we went to the internet cafe. Baystan found his photo on the same site and some more information that he wanted from tawa “Karawat”, Card detective work. I requested him to come along with me to the Indian Embassy. Embassy was quite far off. I gave him 300 Som for Petrol. Inside we met Mr. Thakur, 2nd Secretary. First was usually busy and you can’t meet. The Ambassador was busy, he is having meeting etc. When I told Ministry of External Affairs involvement, they (in the Embassy) became alright. Mr. Thakur took me to the Ambassador who is Mr. Pardhan or Topdhan. He was a student of SIS John in 1980-84 almost at the same time I was doing PhD. We chatted for sometime. Mr. Thakur told him of my theft. He did not show any reaction. We came back to Thakur’s room. He gave us tea and dry fruits. We came back and forgot my cap and remembered it after sometime. Bayastan was nice. He drove back to the Embassy and I collected my cap from the reception.
Then we came to the Police Station and sat there. There was no progress. Bayastan drove me through Bishkek town and showed many land marks. I got down at square one where there is a war memorial. Changing of guards as is happening in Moscow, Presidents White House, and Parliament etc. I wanted kazaki food. Damira joined us for dinner but it was 9.30 p.m. and all the restaurants were closing down. Finally we bought some chicken patties. Bayastan will again come to room at 1.00 p.m. Yes, yesterday, Damira and Bayastan met the flat owner and his wife. In fact flat owner’s wife came to return 100 Som to me when I asked her about Dastan. Not knowing the English language, she called the owner. At the sametime, Damira and
Bayastan came in. They talked and their statement was taken. I made a cup of coffee and ate 1 ½ patty with ketchup and coffee. Then I went to sleep. T.V. was showing Indian Cinema on one channel with Russian interpretation. I hope my camera also must  recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Stories of My Travel Diaries