Day 67: 28th July, 2012- Pristina (Kosovo), Guest House, Vetaiva


11.15 a.m.: Last night the bus dropped us somewhere in the city but not at the Bus stand.  There was a young Irish boy who also came in the bus.  He wants to go to Hostel Pristina and asked me to share a taxi.  I fixed up a taxi for 8 Euros for both places.  Zarko have booked accommodation for me at Guest House Vateina.  It took some time to search Irish boy’s accommodation place and then came to my place. He paid 4 Euros and I also gave same amount to the taxi driver.  Driver was good and spoke a little English.  Pristina is a hilly area and roads are not wide.

The hotel reception is on the ground floor in a room with a kitchen.  Receptionist noted my passport no. and charged 15 E for a night and then gave me a city map. My room No.33A is on the 2nd floor.  He picked up my big packsack and came along to the room.  The room is good and equipped with a large double bed, T.V., Wordrobe and a small balcony in which there is some grass and flowers were planted.  The entire area of the guest house is well carpeted.  Shoes are to be removed at the entrance and lots of sleepers are kept for use of the guests.  W.C. is just adjacent to my room.  The hotel has an equipped kitchen with two internet computers.  Two British young persons were watching opening of Olympics games in London.  I also watched and then realized I have a T.V. in my room.  I watched for some time and It was 1 a.m. when I went to sleep.  I ate a muffin given in the bus, two apricots which I bought in the morning and had some juice.

11.45 a.m.: I woke up at 9 a.m. and got ready after taking shower at 10 a.m.  I decided to stay one more night here which will give me time to think about my further travel plans.  I sent an e-mail to Zarko who was worried for my visit to Kosovo.  A woman had come at the reception and I paid 15 E for the 2nd night stay.  Prof. Isa, the owner of the guest housewith which Zarko had spoken on phone is still sleeping.  I will meet him in the evening.

I got out of the hostel and walked up the hill and reached a fast food shop.  I have had a hamburger and yoghurt and finished writing this diary. Nearby is a National Memorial and then walk to the centre. It is not impressive, not kept very well.  It is sunny but I kept on walking according to the map.  It is hilly all along.  People are friendly and know English.  I talked to a young person.  He was mechanical engineer and chatted with me for long.  Unfortunately the museum was closed but one another Ethnological museum was open.  This is regarding the life of Kosova people how they were living 100-200 years ago.  Many things I found similar to India.  Small children lined up for a photograph.  They talked affectionately.  There was a shop keeper who had asked me to go this museum.  On return I went to thank him and he in turn asked me to sit on a chair and called his school going son to talk with me in English.  There is a mosque and it was Namaz time in the afternoon.  Considering that it is Ramzan or Ramadan time (which I came to know later).  There were not more than 100 persons in the mosque.  Yes, some of them were young.  There was no apparent sign of any hard Islamic line either in the dress of women or among the people.  In all I saw two women in full cover (not face) near the mosque.  I found out a Post Office and bought Sim Card for phone.  This is the only place where Sim Card is sold.  I asked a young boy where is the Post Office?  He said you are standing in front of it. After I bought Sim Card, I came out and found two old people sitting in a lawn.  I went there.  Both smiled and one asked me to sit.  This is pensioner club and office, where all their problems are referred.  I asked for Turkish Coffee as cappicone was not available.  This man showed me the club and then walked with me to the “New Bourne” where there is a Mother Teresa Statue with a child.  This is called Teresa’s Square.  I took some pictures.  This is actually the downtown area.  We walked in the super market.  He then asked me to come to his house across the road.  I agreed.  He told me that this is Ramazan time (they call like it)  and he can’t eat and drink till evening.  This is a very posh area of Pristina and same area where I left the Irish boy last night for Pristina Hostel.  Many Embassies and Ambassadors’ houses are also here.  He is a retired Prof. of Economics from Berlin University, Germany and he’d worked for 8 years there.  Now he gets a pension of 40 Mannat or Euro.  His son is driving taxi and grandson studying I.T.  His house is at very good and nice location. I met his wife.  Before that I bought some packets of biscuits and orange juice packets for E 5.90 for his grandson.  He was very happy.  He served some sweets and dates to me.  I took a piece only.  Then I asked for a taxi to come to my guest house.  It charged me E 2.80.  In the guest house I met Prof. Isa who was a Prof. of Technology and has a good property to run it like a guest house.  I sat with him for an hour.  He’d studied in London and during that time, stayed in a hotel run by an Indian.  That is why he drinks tea with milk and sugar free as he is diabetic.
I told him how to make Indian tea after boiling water, add tea leaves, milk and sugar.  He had a good laugh.  For more than 40 years he was drinking and thinking it is the way Indian is made but he came to know today how to make tea.  He will ask his wife to make tea this way.  It was 6 p.m. and I went up to the same fast food restaurant and asked for Salad and bread.  I bought some fruit and 3 green chillies which I gave them to grill.  It was early dinner but good.  I walked back to the Guest house.
I will sleep early as I am planning to leave for another city Pritzen which is 1.30 hrs away.  I spoke to Zarko.  He had not seen my mail.  He is happy that I reached Pristina without any problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Stories of My Travel Diaries